You're currently using the accessible version on a desktop device. Turn off accessibility mode.

Passport, visa and ID

Save yourself time and hassle, and investigate the specific ID and entry requirements for your destination before you travel. Because who wants to spend their holiday stuck at the airport?

Prepare before you fly

Make sure you have all your necessary travel documents organised well before your day of departure.

  • You’ll need to provide a valid form of photo identification upon request when travelling with us. The name on your ticket must be identical to your form of identification. Tickets and flight reservations with us are personal for each passenger and non-transferable.
  • You must make sure you have all the necessary travel documents, including passport and visas, for your journey. We reserve the right to refuse boarding if you can not present a valid form of ID and the necessary travel documents. Our tickets and flight reservations are personal to the holder and non-transferable from one passenger to another.
  • You're responsible for obeying all laws, regulations and other provisions of public authorities related to travel in the countries you're flying from, to, or in transit through. We're not liable for any consequences due to a failure to obtain the necessary documents or failure to obey such laws, regulations, requirements or orders.

Know your destination's requirements

Your entry requirements may change depending on your destination and nationality.

Schengen region

  • We strongly recommend that you bring a valid passport or national ID card (if applicable) if travelling in and out of a Schengen country, as you must have the ability to prove your citizenship if required. Although immigration controls no longer apply between Schengen countries, the borders may be restored at any time.
  • A national ID card is only issued in certain countries and shows the nationality of the card holder. A valid passport is the only internationally recognised proof of citizenship for Norwegian and Danish citizens.
  • Citizens of certain countries may be subject to special entry and/or visa requirements. To establish what documentation is necessary, please contact national authorities (e.g. embassy and/or consulate).
  • Such conditions also apply to flights between the Nordic countries. Svalbard is not a member of Schengen, and therefore ID requirements for Non-Schengen countries will apply.

Non-Schengen region

  • You must present a valid passport as proof of identity. Children must present their own passport.
  • Please be aware that certain destinations have special visa conditions and rules regarding the length of validity remaining on your passport. Some countries also accept a valid National ID card (only issued in certain countries and shows the nationality of the card holder) as a substitute for passports.
  • Please contact the relevant authorities (e.g. embassy and/or consulate) for further information.

ID for children under 18 years

Certain countries require additional documentation, and have specific requirements for any children under 18 years who wish to travel into, out of or within their country. You must contact the country’s embassy website or national authorities for more information before you make your booking, and commence travel as these requirements can vary depending on the country, and can change regularly.

To avoid any uncertainty in relation to the age of the child, we ask that you travel with proof of their age at all times (e.g. birth certificate or passport).

Advanced Passenger Information (APIS)

Several government authorities require that all airlines collect Advanced Passenger Information from all passengers prior to travel.

You can register Advanced Passenger Information via My Travels

You will be asked to provide all or some of the following information:

  • all names (first, middle and last names) exactly as written in your passport
  • date of birth
  • gender
  • passport number and country of issue
  • passport expiry date
  • nationality

If you're from an EEA country or Switzerland, and are travelling to the UK you may use a national ID card instead of a passport.

If you're travelling on a flight to or from the U.S., you also need to provide:

  • your address in the U.S. for the first night’s stay (except for citizens or residents of the U.S.)
  • your redress number (if applicable). The redress number is a reference number issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to travellers who have previously experienced difficulties obtaining entry to the U.S.

A visa may also be required for you to enter the U.S. See information regarding ESTA and the Visa Waiver program below.

Privacy statement

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires you to provide your full name, date of birth and gender for the purpose of watch list screening, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560. You may also provide your Redress Number, if available. Failure to provide your full name, date of birth and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area.

TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of records notice. For more on TSA privacy policies, or to review the system of records notice and the privacy impact assessment, please see the TSA website at

Travelling to Canada (eTA)

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.

An eTA doesn’t guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents – for example, a U.S. Green Card. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada.

Apply for eTA here.

Travelling to the U.S. (ESTA)

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of countries that are members of the VWP to travel to the U.S. without applying for a specific visa. It is, however, a requirement of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for all passengers eligible to travel under the VWP to apply for an Electronic System Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

ESTA applications must be submitted online and approved prior to departure. Most applications are approved immediately, however U.S. government authorities recommend passengers submit their application at least 72 hours before to departure.

For updated information regarding the Visa Waiver Program and passport requirements for citizens, please visit the Department of Homeland Security.

To be eligible for the VWP you must:

  • hold an e-Passport, also known as a biometric passport (applies from 1 April 2016)
  • be travelling for business, pleasure or transit only
  • be staying in the U.S. for less than 90 days
  • have a confirmed return or onward ticket
  • obtain an ESTA (recommend applications submitted 72 hours prior to departure)

If you are not a citizen of a country that is a member of the VWP or do not meet the requirement for the VWP, please contact the U.S. Embassy for information.