This concentration camp turned museum and memorial was used by the Nazis until the end of World War Two. From 1945-1950 it was transformed into a concentration camp in which the Soviets imprisoned the Nazis. During this five-year period there were circa 60,000 prisoners, 12,000 of whom died there. Although this is a staggering number of people, this pales in comparison to the more than 200,000 people who were imprisoned here during the war. In 1961 the camp was modified and re-opened as a national memorial representing the “victory of anti-fascism over fascism”.
22 Strasse der Nationen, Oranienburg D-16515. | Tel: +4933012000