Proof of identity

Tickets and flight reservations with Norwegian are personal to the holder and non-transferable from one passenger to another. When travelling with Norwegian you should have the ability to provide a valid form of photo ID upon request. You must also ensure that you obtain the necessary travel documents, including passport and visas for your journey. The name on the ticket must be identical to your form of identification.

Passengers are themselves responsible for obeying all laws, regulations and other provisions of public authorities related to travel in the countries the passengers are flying from, to, or in transit through. The Carrier shall not be liable for any consequences to passengers of their failure to obtain such requisite documents or failure to obey such laws, regulations, requirements or orders.

Norwegian reserves the right to refuse boarding if the passenger does not present a valid form of ID and the necessary travel documents (e.g. passport and/or visas).


Although immigration controls no longer apply between Schengen countries, the borders may be restored at any time. We therefore recommend that you bring a valid passport or national ID card* as you must have the ability to prove your citizenship if required. NOTE: A valid passport is the only internationally recognised proof of citizenship for Norwegian and Danish citizens.

Citizens of certain countries may be subject to special entry/visa requirements. To establish what documentation is necessary, please contact national authorities (e.g. embassy/consulate).

Such conditions also apply to flights between the Nordic countries.

NOTE: Svalbard is not a member of Schengen, and therefore ID requirements for Non-Schengen countries will apply.

* A national ID card is only issued in certain countries and shows the nationality of the card holder.


Return to top


All passengers must present a valid passport as proof of identity. Children must present their own passport. Please be aware that certain destinations have special visa conditions and rules regarding the length of validity remaining on your passport. Some countries also accept a valid National ID card* as a substitute for passports. Please contact the relevant authorities (e.g. embassy/consulate) for further information.

* A national ID card is only issued in certain countries and shows the nationality of the card holder.

Return to top

When travelling to/from the US and UK there are certain regulations regarding mandatory information which you must provide prior your flight. The following information may be used as a guideline for the mandatory information that must be provided.

Advanced Passenger Information (APIS)
US and UK government authorities require that all airlines collect Advanced Passenger Information from all passengers prior to travel. You can register Advanced Passenger Information, via My Reservations.

NOTE: If you are travelling to the US, you are required to provide advanced passenger information within 72 hours prior to departure. If your booking is made less than 72 hours prior to departure, you will be asked to provide this information at the time of booking. Passengers who do not provide the information on time may not be permitted to travel.

You will be asked to provide all, or some of the following information:

  • All names (first, middle and last names) exactly as written in your passport
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • Passport number and country of issue
  • Passport expiry date
  • Nationality

Additional information for US flights:

  • Address in the US for the first night’s stay (except for citizens or residents of the US)
  • Redress number (if applicable). The redress number is a reference number issued by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to travellers who have previously experienced difficulties obtaining entry to the US

NOTE: A visa may be required. See information regarding ESTA and the Visa Waiver program below.

Privacy statement
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires you to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender for the purpose of watch list screening, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560. You may also provide your Redress Number, if available. Failure to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area.

TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of records notice. For more on TSA privacy policies, or to review the system of records notice and the privacy impact assessment, please see the TSA website at

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and Electronic System Travel Authorisation (ESTA)
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of countries that are members of the VWP to travel to the US without applying for a specific visa. It is however a requirement of the US Department of Homeland Security for all passengers eligible to travel under the VWP to apply for an Electronic System Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

ESTA applications must be submitted online and approved prior to departure. Most applications are approved immediately, however US government authorities recommend passengers to submit their application at least 72 hours prior to departure.

For updated information regarding the Visa Waiver Program and passport requirements for citizens, please visit the Department of Homeland Security.

VWP requirements:

  • Must be travelling for business, pleasure, transit only
  • Stay in the US for less than 90 days
  • Hold a confirmed return or onward ticket
  • Obtain an ESTA (recommend applications submitted 72 hours prior to departure)

NOTE: If you are not a citizen of a country that is a member of the VWP or do not meet the requirement for the VWP, please contact the US Embassy for information.

Apply for your ESTA here

Important information for passengers travelling between Copenhagen and St Croix
Passengers travelling from Copenhagen to St Croix must collect their baggage and clear US customs and immigration while refuelling in San Juan. This is a technical stop only and the booking cannot be split for travel between St Croix and San Juan. We do not sell tickets between St Croix and San Juan.

Return to top

In cases where photo ID is not necessary, we recommend that passengers show birth certificates for infants less than 2 years of age.

When travelling to certain destinations children who are not travelling with both of their parents may need to produce a letter stating that their child is permitted to travel with other adults. Please contact the relevant authorities (e.g. embassy and/or consulate) for further information.


Children (Nordic citizens ONLY) travelling between the Nordic countries
Children (under 18 years of age) travelling with their parents or guardian are not required to provide identification when travelling between the Nordic countries. In this instance, any baggage must be checked in under the adult.


Other conditions
Children travelling alone must adhere to identification requirements for the destination they are travelling to.

Return to top