Cancellations due to circumstances outside Norwegian’s control
If your flight is cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances such as those described below, Norwegian will do all possible to provide you with an alternative flight at no extra cost. You have the option to change your flight, and any onward flight with Norwegian, including the return, free of charge. You are also permitted to change the date of travel to a later date, assuming there are seats available. If your reason for travel no longer exists, you are entitled to a full refund, including onward flights on Norwegian and the return journey.
Circumstances outside Norwegian’s control which could not have been avoided even when all possible measures are taken may include: cancellation due to weather conditions, the result of weather conditions that affected earlier departures, technical problems that occur unexpectedly and are considered a risk to flight safety, strikes or other types of work conflict that cause operational problems, allocated slots due to restrictions by Air Traffic Control, unexpected illness of airline crew and other unforeseen circumstances that represent a safety hazard and are beyond our control.
Cancellation due to circumstances within our control
If your flight is cancelled due to circumstances within our control, such as conditions described below, you are entitled to an alternative flight with Norwegian at no extra cost. If you do not want to rebook your flight you are entitled to a full refund of the cost of your cancelled flight, in addition to any onward flights that you have with Norwegian, including your return ticket. You also have the option to choose an alternative routing with Norwegian. You are entitled to meals and refreshments in relation to the length of delay, paid hotel expenses if you are offered a flight the next day (including transportation to and from airport and hotel), two free telephone calls, fax messages or e-mail messages. In addition you are also entitled to compensation which is determined by the length of your original flight (please see below).
Cancellations caused by conditions within our control may include: scheduled flight programme changes on commercial grounds or grounds within the airline’s control, foreseeable technical issues, and staff shortages that should have been foreseen.
Compensation according to length of journey
- 250 Euro for flights of 1500 km or less
- 400 Euro for flights between 1500 and 3500 km
- 600 Euro for flights over 3500 km
You are not entitled to compensation if
- Sufficient information concerning cancellation of your flight has been provided no less than two weeks prior to the scheduled departure of your flight.
- Information concerning the cancellation of your flight has been provided between two weeks and seven days prior to the original scheduled departure of your flight and you have been offered an alternative route which would enable you to depart a maximum of two hours earlier than scheduled time of departure of your original flight and arrive at your destination a maximum of four hours later than originally scheduled.
- Information concerning cancellation of your flight has been provided no more than seven days prior to the original scheduled departure time of your flight and you are offered an alternative route which enables you to depart a maximum one hour earlier than your original scheduled departure time and you arrive at your destination a maximum of two hours later than scheduled.
The compensation you are entitled to may be reduced by 50% if
- For flights of less than 1500 km, you are offered an alternative route with a flight that departs earlier than one hour prior to scheduled departure of your original flight, and you arrive at your destination no later than two hours after scheduled time of arrival.
- For flights between 1500 and 3500 km, you are offered an alternative route with a flight that departs earlier than one hour prior to scheduled departure of your original flight, and you arrive at your destination no later than three hours after your scheduled arrival time.
- For flights over 3500 km, you are offered an alternative route with a flight that departs earlier than one hour prior to scheduled departure of your original flight, and you arrive at your destination no later than four hours after your scheduled arrival time.
EU-directive 261/2004 can be found here. This is also available at the airport.
Contact information to your National Enforcement Body: http://apr.europa.eu
Request for refund can be sent to
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA
Po box 115